Foster fellowship. Show hospitality. Welcome new people. Care for the lonely. Comfort the sick. Celebrate God’s gift of life. Serve. Pray. Express compassion. That’s what deacons do.
Our board of deacons seeks to show God’s love in action. They serve and lead our church’s congregation in sharing fellowship, hospitality, and pastoral care.
The 24 members of our Board of Deacons share the responsibility for the oversight of our church’s pastoral care, fellowship, and hospitality. A Deacon in the Presbyterian Church is a church member who is elected and ordained to a particular function in the church. The Presbyterian Church’s Book of Order states, “The office of deacon as set forth in Scripture is one of compassion, witness, sharing in the redeeming love of Jesus Christ for the poor, the hungry, the sick, the lost, the friendless, the oppressed, those burdened by unjust policies or structures, or anyone in distress.”
Our board of deacons carries out its ministries as a whole and through various teams.
- Members of this team assist the Associate for Pastoral Care in reaching out to members who have had an illness, death, difficult life situation, or joyous event in their family.
- Members of this team also reach out to those who have not recently attended worship because they are homebound.
- Deacon team members organize a group of people who gather around the piano and pray prayers of intercession on Sunday mornings after worship and during the week. following worship
- Deacon team members also receive special requests for prayer from the Associate for Pastoral Care during the week as needed.
- Members of this team take a leadership role for Deacon-sponsored fellowship gatherings of the church with the support of all the deacons. Events include: bagel Sundays, welcome back picnic, Advent potluck dinner, Shrove Tuesday potluck dinner, Strawberry Sunday, and new member brunch.
- The Connections Team focuses on enhancing the connections of our members and enabling our church family to care for and connect more deeply with each other. This team has primary responsibility in reaching out to our members we haven’t seen in a while and in fostering connections among us all.
- Take turns preparing coffee fellowship on Sunday mornings and delivering flowers after worship on Sunday.
- Participate in communion during worship services at the church.
- Home Communion Teams take communion to our homebound members following our regular communion services. Teams are made up of Deacons and Elders. This is a meaningful time in the lives of those who serve and those who are served.
How can I join the ministry of the deacons?
If you would like to be part of any of the above Ministry Teams, please contact any deacon or the church office or call us at 609-896-1212.
Click here to view the current Board of Deacons.